Car Preservation & Restoration

Here are some images of our car acquisition, preservation and restoration activities. Choose different cars from the drop-down list to see a particular car's restoration photos. Most of the time, clicking on an image will result in a larger version being displayed.



A string of flatcars full of open cars made a very strange sight in 1965 as the open trolleys cars were delivered to the museums.



First operated in 1966, and still needing quite a bit of work, getting car #1875 operating was a major accomplishment for the volunteers at that time.



It remained here until it was discovered by a museum volunteer in 1985.



Trolley #61 was finally moved to the museum in 1991 and unloaded onto the track using a crane.



A tractor trailer carried the car to the museum.



Oporto #249 was shipped in a very large box from Oporto to Philadelphia and the car was then transported to the museum aboard a trailer.



On October 6, 1960, Trolley # 311 left Johnstown for Rockhill Furnace aboard a Kovalchick Salvage trailer.



Even before the restoration of the trolley was complete, the car became the first operating trolley at any established trolley museum in Pennsylvania.



The exterior windows are from one side of the trolley.



November 21, 2003:

Our latest acquisition, tower car D-39 has arrived by truck. The car, built in 1908 as an ash car, was used until recently as an overhead-wire repair vehicle on Philadelphia's SEPTA transit system.

The car spent recent years operating on broad gauge trucks, but was placed back on standard gauge trucks so it can be used on our railroad.

Pages