Rio Open Car #1875

All-Female Operating Crew

July 14, 2001: We are pleased to announce the first operating crew with a female conductor and female motorman--on Pennsylvania's only operating open-air trolley car. Although we have had women operating and conducting for many years, we can't recall having both at the same time before. Congratulations, and thanks for your hard work, ladies!

Month Year: 
July, 2001

Ice Cream Night #2

The second ice cream night for 2001 included a special surprise for riders: first public operations to the new end of trackage at Black Log Narrows. At left, neatly dressed motormen and women welcome the first riders to this special event.

Month Year: 
September, 2001

1999 In Review

1999 saw 1000 school children visit museum.

On Community Day, we held the dedication of Open trolley #1875 at museum.

We developed a York Rys and Harrisburg Rys photo exhibit for Museum Store.

We built Track five at Carbarn Two, and erected overhead wire over tracks two, three and five.

We completed cosmetic restoration of D.C. Transit 09.

A grant application to TEA-21 was submitted for restoration of Johnstown Traction Co 355.

Scranton Transit 505 was moved to museum.

Over 700 people were carried at Santa’s Trolley.

Month Year: 
January, 1999

1998 In Review

In 1998, we rebuilt the flatcar into overhead bucket car.

Re regauged the second truck and returned Philadelphia PCC 2743 to service. Rio open car 1875 was also returned to service after 20-month cosmetic restoration.

We participated in the Hershey Museum trolley display.

Dedicated member Dolores Salomon passed away.

We installed overhead trolley wire over the east half of Altoff siding.

D.C. Transit 09 entered the shop for restoration.

Month Year: 
January, 1998

1997 In Review

Open trolley 1875 entered the shop in February, 1997.

We planted Carbarn Two overhead poles and built an 18x200' warehouse addition to the carbarn.

Dedicated member Moe Byers passed away.

Valley Railways car 12 was placed on modified shop trucks for the first time in 74 years.

Concrete ramps were built at Museum Store and Members' Building.

One truck from Philadelphia PCC 2743 was regauged.

We de-accessed cars 1430 and Red Arrow 13 from the collection to National Capital Trolley Museum in Wheaton, MD, and an individual in Charlotte, NC.

The Carbarn Two parts addition concrete floor was poured, and the Meadow St. platform was rebuilt in concrete and lights were added.

Month Year: 
December, 1997