Decade in Review, 1990-1999

A Review of the Decade

When one is a regular volunteer at the museum, the number of projects that need attention often seems daunting. Sometimes it is very satisfying and necessary to stop and take a look back at what has been completed. At the end of the 1990's, we thought it might be enjoyable to take a look back and see what our museum has accomplished over that decade.

1990 In Review

In 1990, we cleared the Carbarn Two site of trees, graded and built the 80x200' building.

We performed minor woodwork on, painted and restored the headlights on plow 10.

We acquired and received the International stakebody truck and Conrail caboose (ex Pennsylvania RR).

We built the east switch at Altoff siding and extended the Old Shop track beside Buehler Shop.

Valley Railways car 12 was moved to become the first trolley inside Carbarn Two, and freight motor 402 and Bullet car 205 moved to museum from Philadelphia.

In 1990, volunteers gathered to build the east switch at Altoff siding.

In 2000, this is now a full passing siding, with overhead wire.

Our 1966 International stake body truck was donated by Montgomery County Vo-Tech school in 1990.

It has been completely refurbished by our volunteer members and is used regularly.

1991 In Review

We built the dual gauge switch off the mainline for Carbarn Two, as well as the three track turnouts and tracks two and three.

Then we moved the first trolleys on rail inside.

The museum hosted the ARM convention.

We installed trolley poles on freight motor 402 and Bullet car 205 from Philadelphia.

We acquired the Bobcat loader.

Red Arrow center door car 61 was moved to museum from member Don Pharo’s farm in Bethlehem.

Harrisburg car 710 and Hagerstown & Frederick 5 were put on trucks and moved indoors with 61 and Philadelphia Bridge car 1009.

Louis Buehler and Joel Salomon prepare to place a new post into position on Johnstown Traction 355 in 1991.

In 2000, restoration of #355 is not complete, but a recently-announced ISTEA grant should ensure completion within several years.

Our Bobcat loader, acquired in 1991, enables our volunteers to do projects with much less effort.

Here it is being used to ballast track four at Carbarn Two in 1996. In 2000, carbarn 2 has an 18' warehouse addition, a fifth track along the outside, and wire over 3 tracks.

In the spring of 1991, a half dual-gauge switch was built off the mainline into the Carbarn Two lead, by our volunteers.

Rio open car 1875 passes on the mainline while 64 sits on the Carbarn Two lead.

In 2000, a restoration of #1875 has completely updated its appearance. Car #64 is still one of our most useful tools.

1992 In Review

In 1992, we rebuilt Museum Curve with new ties, proper elevation and ballast and properly re-aligned the switch at Altoff siding.

This was the yeaer when 600 feet of mainline track was built.

JTC 355 was detrucked in Buehler Shop.

1993 In Review

Strafford car 162 arrived at the museum, and we sent out JTC 355 trucks for rebuilding.

Overhead wire was erected on mainline track extension, and the extension track was ballasted and tamped.

We held the "Halloween Trolley" at the museum.

Dedicated member Alan Martlew passed away.

1994 In Review

In 1994, Plow 10 plowed snow for first time at the museum.

We received Philadelphia PCC 2743, Burro Crane, the flatcar at the museum.

We built Track one into Carbarn Two.

We moved Philadelphia PCC car 2743 and Strafford car 162 to indoor storage.

The Burro crane has been a very useful tool at the museum since its acquisition in 1994.

It is shown placing a PCC truck from SEPTA car 2743 on the deck of the flatcar in 1996. This same flatcar would later be built into the aerial bucket car.

In 2000, the flatcar has become our aerial bucket car.

1995 In Review

1995 saw JTC 355's trucks completely rebuilt and delivered to museum.

Louis Buehler was honored for his efforts on behalf of the museum.

We improved the Museum Store.

The west switch at Altoff siding was rebuilt.

We installed new boom hoist gear on Burro crane.

New boarding steps were built for Bullet car and Liberty Liner.

We replaced seventy-five ties on the mainline and removed third rail from north leg of EBT wye track.

We installed overhead wire troughs on Carbarn Two tracks two and three.

1996 In Review

In 1996, Louis Buehler donated shop equipment, which was moved to the museum from his basement workshop.

The museum purchased 5000 feet of copper overhead wire. Poles were donated for the Carbarn Two yard, and we built one track turnout at Carbarn Two, as well as track four.

RTM volunteers repainted the EBT M-7 diesel as part of our ongoing assistance in maintaining the East Broad Top RR's internal combustion equipment.

We moved the Liberty Liner inside Carbarn Two.

1997 In Review

Open trolley 1875 entered the shop in February, 1997.

We planted Carbarn Two overhead poles and built an 18x200' warehouse addition to the carbarn.

Dedicated member Moe Byers passed away.

Valley Railways car 12 was placed on modified shop trucks for the first time in 74 years.

Concrete ramps were built at Museum Store and Members' Building.

One truck from Philadelphia PCC 2743 was regauged.

We de-accessed cars 1430 and Red Arrow 13 from the collection to National Capital Trolley Museum in Wheaton, MD, and an individual in Charlotte, NC.

The Carbarn Two parts addition concrete floor was poured, and the Meadow St. platform was rebuilt in concrete and lights were added.

In February 1997, our museum operated this special train during our Members' Winter Trolleyfest.

Regauging trucks from Philadelphia PCC began in 1997.

The standard gauge Cleveland truck is shown disassembled on the track. The wheelsets and track brakes from these trucks were combined with parts from SEPTA trucks to make the car operable on our standard gauge track.

In 2000, this truck is in use under our PCC #2743.

A new concrete porch and ramp were poured at the front entrance of the Museum Store in the Spring of 1997.

In 2000, this area and our Meadow St. platform have received extensive landscaping and new visitor comforts.

In 1997, the museum deaccessed Red Arrow St. Louis car 13 from the collection.

It was sold to an individual in Charlotte, NC. Both St Louis cars are posed next to each other before car 13 departed.

In 2000, car #13 is undergoing restoration in Charlotte and progressing nicely.

1998 In Review

In 1998, we rebuilt the flatcar into overhead bucket car.

Re regauged the second truck and returned Philadelphia PCC 2743 to service. Rio open car 1875 was also returned to service after 20-month cosmetic restoration.

We participated in the Hershey Museum trolley display.

Dedicated member Dolores Salomon passed away.

We installed overhead trolley wire over the east half of Altoff siding.

D.C. Transit 09 entered the shop for restoration.

The aerial bucket car was designed and constructed by our volunteers in Buehler Shop in 1998.

It is an example of our members' talents and creativity, and the capabilities of our shops. It is used to help maintain our overhead wire and for many other jobs.

1999 In Review

1999 saw 1000 school children visit museum.

On Community Day, we held the dedication of Open trolley #1875 at museum.

We developed a York Rys and Harrisburg Rys photo exhibit for Museum Store.

We built Track five at Carbarn Two, and erected overhead wire over tracks two, three and five.

We completed cosmetic restoration of D.C. Transit 09.

A grant application to TEA-21 was submitted for restoration of Johnstown Traction Co 355.

Scranton Transit 505 was moved to museum.

Over 700 people were carried at Santa’s Trolley.

In 1990, open car #1875 rolled out of Buehler Shop with a stunning new look reminiscent of Conestoga Traction of Lancaster.

A ceremony was held at our Community Day, attended by numerous local and state dignitaries.

Car 1875 is the only open trolley currently operating in Pennsylvania.

In 1999, century-old DC transit snow sweeper #09 left the shop after a moderate restoration,

involving wood repairs and a complete repainting. Here it demonstrates its function during the winter of 1999-2000.

1990's Wrap-Up

Keeping the museum staffed with trolley operators and Museum Store staff is a never-ending challenge. Many hours are expended on trolley, track, and grounds maintenance. Planning and coordinating for Members' Day events, the yearly visit from Santa, fan trips in Philadelphia, and the tremendous amount of administrative work required to keep an organization like ours operating keep several dedicated members always busy.

Thanks to all the members who have made the 1990’s the successful years that they were.